Hot Yoga and Group Fitness
We use therapeutic Infrared Radiant Heat in our studio. Unobtrusive panels in the ceiling heat objects in the room, rather than the air, allowing the air to be slightly cooler and more comfortable since your body is being heated internally. This is the same system hospitals use in infrared saunas to promote tissue healing. It includes an integrated humidity system to keep the conditions optimal at all times of the year.
WHY IS THE ROOM HOT?
• The heat makes muscles more elastic and pliable which allows for deeper, safer stretching
• The Heat enhances vasodilation so that more blood (and oxygen) is delivered to the muscles, the joints, and the endocrine, thyroid and lymphatic systems bringing natural healing and balance back in to your body
• Because of vasodilation, your heart works harder to pump greater volume of blood, resulting in greater cardiovascular benefit.
• The Heat speeds up the breakdown of glucose and fatty acids
• Sweating is good for your skin because it opens up and unclogs pores
• And, it feels really good to just let the sweat pour out of you!
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF CLASSES IN THE HEAT?
The benefits you receive from a regular, devoted yoga and fitness practice will vary depending on who you are, your health history and what you put into your practice. The most frequently reported benefits are:
• Escalation in energy and metabolism;
• Weight loss and increase in muscle tone;
• Increase in balance, strength and flexibility;
• Reduction in heart and respiratory rates;
• Decrease in blood pressure;
• Improved functioning of internal organs;
• Reduction of insomnia and depression;
• Strengthening of the immune system;
• Reduction in stress and a newfound ability to relax during stressful moments;
• Alleviation of symptoms of chronic diseases and injuries;
• Rejuvenated sense of calm and well-being;
• An inspired and positive outlook on life
WHAT SHOULD I BRING AND HOW SHOULD I PREPARE FOR MY FIRST CLASS?
• Wear light workout clothing; something you feel comfortable sweating in; stretchy fabric-not cotton. Women wear shorts or capris, jog bra or tank top. Men wear shorts or bathing suit with or without a t-shirt or tank. Changing rooms provided
• Come to class well hydrated. We recommend drinking about a gallon the day before you practice (that’s just over seven 16.9 oz bottles). Good hydration supports the healthy functioning of all your body’s systems and it makes the heat feel comfortable rather than overwhelming.
• Come on an empty stomach, but have something small and easy to digest 1-2 hours before class
• Arrive 10-15 minutes before class. This will allow time to prepare for class. You can register online or in person. Registering online will ensure that you have a spot in the class.
• We provide everything you need; yoga mats, towels, water (bring your own refillable bottle) And Showers!
• Come with a positive, open attitude. You don’t have to be flexible or in shape to do yoga, you just have to do it; you will thank yourself for coming!
HOW OFTEN SHOULD I COME TO CLASS?
Come as often as you can. Ideally, 3-5 times a week for the first two to three months. This gives your body a jump start, and in that time period you will notice incredible improvements in your practice and in your overall health and life. The time and effort you put into it will be returned to you tenfold.
IS THERE ANYONE WHO SHOULDN’T PRACTICE HOT YOGA OR FITNESS?
If you have high blood pressure, particularly low blood pressure, or are pregnant or nursing, you should check with your doctor before trying a class. If you simply do not like the heat, you might find that your body learns to like it after a few classes!